Updated: Feb 23, 2022
A person that commits suicide, or attempts suicide has never been born again and thus does not enter the glories of God’s Kingdom. Here are some of the reasons we know this to be true:
1. Suicide is murder, murder of self, and God’s Word is very clear, “that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.” (1 Jn 3:15). In Gal. 5:19-21 we read a list of “the works of the flesh” and one of these works is “murder . . . of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.” This means the suicide person is unsaved. They do not have fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-25), which is the contrast in Gal 5, lost and saved. Rev. 22:14-15 further tells us that murderers are without the city of God (I.e. heaven). Suicide is murder. Murder of self. It makes no difference whether a person murders another person or murders themselves, its still murder.
Suicidal people have a “reprobate mind” so they “do those things which are not convenient” (Rom 1:28), and that includes “murder” (Rom 1:29) which is simply the product of an unregenerate heart that at some point rejected the truth (Rom 1:18-27).
2. The blood of Jesus Christ does not cover suicide, even though it was shed for all sin. It could be forgiven, if they survive, but there is no forgiveness once a person has died unsaved. Salvation must happen on this side of the grave. And no saved person attempts to commit suicide. It is absolutely true that Christ died for all sinners, for all people period, but it’s only efficacious and applicable to those who repent and are washed from their sin, essentially to those who recognize and acknowledge their ungodliness (Rom 5:6) and sinful estate (Lk 5:31-32), though it be available to all. Jesus Christ “is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world” (1 Jn. 2:2) which includes every person not just the elect as Calvinists would have it, but we know that the whole world isn’t saved. It’s obviously not applicable until we actually do what the bible says to get saved (Is 55:1-7). The price was paid, the blood was shed, the offer is there, but it’s only efficacious to the one who doesn’t reject true salvation through repentant faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, thereby not trampling the blood of Christ underfoot.
3. No truly born again believer in Christ would ever even get anywhere close to such a tragic point because of the hundreds of things that transpire at salvation and continue on forever thereafter. For instance: they are healed permanently and that includes mentally from affliction and oppression and depression; washed and cleansed of all sin forever, white as snow and wool; received new hearts that are circumcised from the flesh; permanently delivered from darkness and into the light; new creatures in Christ Jesus; old things are ALL passed away and all things become new; the old man IS crucified with Christ; overcomers of the flesh, the devil and the world at the moment of conversion and ongoing; imputed with Christ’s righteousness; practically righteous and godly and holy; love God and loved by God; transformed permanently; a new song is in their mouth and heart; fruit of the Spirit which is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law; perfect peace; perfect rest; God leading them along; Psalm 23; etc; etc). “But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.” (Pr. 4:18). “Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.” (Ps 97:11). From my experience in emergency medicine in dealing with suicides and suicidal’s, I can attest to the truth of scripture that no suicidal person is born again.
The depressed, oppressed and unstable mind is the mind of a lost deceived person. If goes against everything that happens at salvation and after in the saints life. “The light of the righteous rejoiceth:” (Pr. 13:9a) — it’s not depressed or oppressed.
4. Suicide or attempting suicide or just entertaining the idea of suicide, is an act of ultimate selfishness and ONLY reflective of an unsaved person. There is no greater selfishness and salvation requires turning from self, “hate not . . . his own life also, he cannot be my disciple” (Lk 14:26) Jesus said. Instead of dealing with their sin and bondage and depravity, they choose the easy way out. Nothing about it has any reflection whatsoever of true Biblical Christianity, which is reflected in loving God and the brethren. They abide in darkness. This person does not have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them. All the examples of suicidal people in the Bible were demon possessed and certainly no saved person can be demon possessed because they have the indwelling Spirit of God! At salvation we overcome the devil (1 Jn 2:13-14; 4:1-6) and the devil doesn’t touch us anymore:
“We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.” (1 Jn 5:18).
5. Suicidal intentions are evil and “Evil pursueth sinners” (Pr. 13:21a)—sinner is a term that is only applicable to the lost in the Word of God (e.g., 1 Sam. 15:18; Ps. 51:13; Matt. 9:10-13; 11:19; 26:45; Mk. 2:15-17; Lk. 5:30-32; 6:32-34; 13:1-5; 15:1-32; Jn. 9:31; 18:13; Rom. 5:8, 19; Gal. 2:15-17; 1 Tim. 1:9, 15; Heb. 12:3; Jam. 4:8; 5:20; 1 Pet. 4:18; Ju. 1:15).
“But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.” (2 Th 3:3).
6. The following truths reflect the unregenerate estate of the suicidal person. Committing suicide is not enduring to the end (Matt 24:13). It is not abiding in Christ (Jn 15:1-6). It is not continuing in His goodness (Rom 11:22). It is not holding fast the word (1 Cor 15:2). It is neglecting and letting so great salvation slip by (Heb 2:1-4). It is not holding fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end (Heb 3:6). It is not holding the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end (Heb 3:14). It is refusing and turning away from Him who speaks from heaven (Heb 12:25). And, it is not overcoming the world (1 Jn 5:4), but rather being overcome by the world and the devil (1 Peter 5:8). None of this happens to those who are truly "born of God” (Jn 3:3-7; 1 Jn 3:9; 4:7; 5:1-4, 18), the Bible is very clear on that, and its because of the grace of God that rests on the saved.
7. Some might argue, 'What about Samson? He committed suicide.' He actually didn’t. Samson’s "suicide" was an act of war, as he killed three thousand Philistines in his vengeance upon them (Jud 16:28-30). He died in his effort to kill others as God had commanded him, as he said, "Let me die with the Philistines.” (Jud 16:30). It was not a suicide, which comes about because of a lack of hope, or a deranged mind, like noted with Judas Iscariot or the demonic of the Gadarenes. He died with the Philistines to be “avenged of the Philistines" for his “two eyes” (Jud 16:28). Most importantly, this was the only choice he had, to kill them as he did. God was honoured in it, which tells us it wasn’t some kind of suicidal pact, and he is found in what is commonly referred to as the Heb 11 Hall of Faith.
Suicidal people are those who have no hope, and they are thus not in Christ (Eph 2:12; 1 Pet 1:3; 3:15), even if they feigned to have hope of the gospel at some point, and are thus lost (Col 1:21-23). Those with reprobate minds, or having mental breakdowns, are those who do not have “perfect peace” or “a sound mind” and are therefore not in Christ (Is 26:3; 2 Tim 1:7). These people will end up in hell if they die in such a state. Such people are not saved.
So when mainstream “evangelicals,” baptists, and reformed calvinists, such as Paul Chappell, John Piper, J. Vernon McGee, David Jeremiah, John MacArthur, Charles Stanley, Chuck Smith, Hank Hanegraaff, Jack Hayford, Billy Graham, Dustin Benge and others, claim that “The blood of Jesus covers every past, present, and future sin of every believer, even suicide” (Dustin Benge, Sept 10, 2020) they are speaking lies and bearing false witness to the truth of Scripture, while Ex 20:16 explicitly states, “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour” and Pr 12:17 warns, “He that speaketh truth sheweth forth righteousness: but a false witness deceit.” They don’t speak truth but deception. They are false witnesses and deceivers. They lie without resistance and who dos God say is the father of lies (Jn 8:44)? They “do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.” (Matt. 22:29). Jesus said this to unsaved religious folks, which is precisely the case with people who disregard the Bible for their own philosophies and opinions. They have believed in “another gospel” deceived by “another spirit” and embraced “another gospel” (2 Cor. 11:4).
In conclusion, none of this is a mystery for those who know the truth (Jn 8:31-36; Col 1:23) which is all that are truly born again (1 Jn 2:20-21; Jn 16:13). The approval of suicides going to heaven teaching by the above heretical “evangelicals” and reformed calvinists, and others, is evil to the very core. This false teaching slams open wide the jaws of death and hell (Lk 16:19-31; Rev 20:11-15) to those in despair. False believers/teachers, including pastors, that have never been born again, will enter a Christ-less eternity in the lake of fire because of these false teachings.
Suicides, attempted suicides, are NOT “believers.” “God is not the God of the dead, but of the living” (Matt. 22:32b) and people that even just entertain this evil thought are yet “dead in trespasses and sins” (Eph 2:1-5).
Jesus Christ is the answer to all your depressive and oppressive thoughts and feelings. He is able to heal you and He does it perfectly. If this is you, please heed His call today:
“Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30).
Salvation is a free gift to whosoever will come but it’s only freely given to those who repent and believe.
“And Jesus answering said unto them, They that are whole need not a physician; but they that are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” (Luke 5:31-32).
"Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near: Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon." (Isaiah 55:6-7).
Please read here on how you can be born again through our most precious Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ: ARE YOU SAVEhttps://www.2020scripturalvision.com/are-you-saved