The Incongruity of Contemporary Worship Music (CCM) and Country Music (High Valley) with God's Word
Updated: Jan 15
Of course there is even worse worldly music out there (i.e., rap, pop, rock, heavy metal, etc) that one could give attention to, and one does, but the focus here is Christian Contemporary Praise and Worship Music (CCM), and Country-western because of the pass it is frequently given, in spite of its terribly deceptive, unscriptural and destructive nature and the extreme danger it presents. In short, it is a Satanic attack on godly sacred music while masquerading as Christian music. Nothing about CCM or country music is Biblical. Not its lyrics, not its musicians, not its melody, not its beat, not its attraction or adoration, not its flaunting sensual style. It is entirely of the world. The lyrics are unbiblical and the odd mention of “Jesus,” maybe once a CD cover, doesn’t make it Christian. It’s not. Its far removed from Biblical Christianity but it does fit the ear-tickling, lust-fulfilling, fleshly sound track of the world and end-times apostasy.
Music bands like High Valley (from La Crete, Alberta, which started with three Remple brothers: Brad, Brian and Curtis— though the latter two are no longer performing and have returned to their hometown) allegedly sing songs "to Jesus" but they sound a lot more like pop singers singing to their girlfriends. Without considering the worldly beat and ungodly and worldly showmanship with all the sensual prancing that only feeds the carnal nature of lost man, we note the overtones of scooping, sliding and syncopation with the breathy voice, throatiness, scrunched-up wailing into a microphone ice-cream style, all artificial signals of fake authenticity reflecting the love they have for themselves, for their flesh, but not for Jesus. But they apparently “love Jesus." This is not Biblical love according to what God says. No man can serve two masters (Matt 6:24) yet they attempt to. We don’t become someone by what we do. What we do, our behaviour and beliefs, proves our position whether we are in-Christ or out-of-Christ.
Many of these don’t love Jesus even if they claim to, and we can judge that in Scripture. Saying you love Jesus is subjective and can be judged objectively. The sentimentalism, sappiness, sensualness, eyes clenched, hands raised, sincerity, are not evidences of loving Jesus. What they are in fact, are evidences of following “the lusts of [y]our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind” which reveals you are “by nature the children of wrath, even as others.” (Eph 2:3). But these might even be considered to have some kind of authentic love for Jesus, since they use that type of sound and song. It's to the point that many young people especially think that the 'girlfriend song' does a better job at saying "I love Jesus" than the old hymn.
Scripture tells us how we can we know we love Jesus.
“And this is love, that we walk after his commandments.” (2 Jn 1:6a).
“By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. FOR THIS is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.” (1 Jn 5:2-3).
According to Scripture, the only person that actually loves Jesus is the one that obeys Him. The keeping of Gods commandments, His Word, His decrees, His principles, His judgments, is the primary hallmark of the truly saved, of the true servant or slave of Christ. That happens to also be the only person that loves his brethren, as we read there in 1 Jn 5:2-3. Loving worldly and unbiblical music such as CCM music and High Valley music is not loving God because you are not keeping His words. Jesus said the same, in John's gospel:
“Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.” (Jn 14:23-24).
Here is bit of a litmus test by which means you can discern whether you actually love Jesus: You Say You Love Jesus But Do You Really Jesus?
Dishonouring and Honouring Music
The Bible has a lot of passages that prohibit certain musical style as worship and then some of the same verses prohibit for Christians musical styles on their musical play list. The following things dishonour and disobey God and should be unbeknownst to the professing saint, yet are in fact the bread and butter of contemporary worship and country music which includes High Valley: fleshly lusts (1 Pet 2:11); worldly lusts (Ti 2:12); being conformed to this world (Rom 12:2); making provision for the flesh (Rom 13:14); profaning the Name of God (Lev 18:21); fashioning oneself according to former lusts (1 Pet 1:14); ecstasy (1 Cor 12:1-3); sensuality (Jam 3:15). Not only do CCM musicians exhibit these behaviours but also produce it in other people.
Even outside the unBiblical and ungodly beat, melody and lyrics, worldly music like CCM and Country has long employed singing techniques that add a strong sensual or fleshly element, appealing to the body and sensual emotions by distortion of voice. The world readily acknowledges this, and loves these styles because of the sensual, fleshly, emotional effect. These include vocal sliding, scooping, flipping, improvisation, breathy tone, and vocal fry. These carnal, sensual, and ungodly singing techniques are very very common today, and present in the singing of “evangelicals” such as High Valley.
The following things on the other hand are what honour and glorify God and should be known of the professing saint, the bread and butter of sacred hymns and worship (not specifically doing these things is also dishonouring and disobedient to God): reverence (Lev 19:30, many others); solemnity (Lev 23:36, many others) [the opposite of reverent and solemn are superficial, foolish, thoughtless, vapid, flippant, trivial, etc]; holy (Rom 12:1); spiritual (Jn 4:23-24); lovely (Phil 4:8) [the opposite is unlovely or ugly]; gender distinct (1 Cor 6:9). All of these can be judged or they wouldn't be in scripture.
God will judge us for doing what He said, and He wouldn't judge us for something we could not be sure to understand. The above is not an exhaustive list, but it is certainly enough to start with. We should assume that we can know what these are.
Contemporary Worship Music
CCM does not deny "worldly lust," and so conforms to this present world, the lust of the flesh, rather than proving what is the perfect will of God (Rom 12:1-2). Contemporary Christianity is filled with those who disobey these passages in a continuous manner, such as High Valley, which reflects what? (read 1 Jn 2:3-5; Matt 7:15-20; Ti 2:11-15; 1 Tim 4:1; 6:3-5; 1 Jn 4:1). Very very few that love this music are actually truly converted. Why? Because the music is entirely representative of the flesh, of the natural man, its carnal, and truly saved people have their flesh with all its affections and lusts nailed to the cross at conversion (Rom 6:1-6; Gal 2:20; 5:24). They “were in the flesh” (Rom 7:5) but are now in the Spirit (Rom 8:14-16; Gal 5:24).
Psalm 23 tells us about this relationship, the Great Shepherd “leadeth [them] in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.” (v. 3b). He doesn’t lead His sheep in the paths of unrighteousness and ungodliness. His sheep hear His voice (the words in God’s Word) and follow Him (Jn 10:1-5). They don’t follow their own ways and flesh, but His ways and Spirit. This ungodly music leads to a hunger and fascination with further ungodly and worldly interests and behaviours. Rather than deny worldly lust, they deny true fellowship with God and deny true worship of the Father, which only saved people can give (Jn 4:23-24).
The list of CCM musicians is very extensive, all are unbiblical and ungodly in their works of darkness evident by their corrupt fruit, and none come with anything that even closely resembles Biblical salvation. Some of the more popular ones include: Chris Tomlin, Casting Crowns, Hillsong, Darlene Zschech, Kari Jobe, Getty’s, Stuart Townend, Big Daddy Weave, Brian Doerksen, MercyMe, Jack Hayford, dc Talk, Gaither’s, Nick Hall, Matt Redman, Passion, David Crowder, Jeremy Camp, Steve Camp, Michael W. Smith, Lauren Daigle, Steven Curtis Chapman, Amy Grant, Keith Green, Matt Maher, Newsboys, Don Moen, Toby Mac, etc. These and hundreds more are radically ecumenical, heretical and apostate, with vast majority adherents of charismatic theology. They all represent “another spirit” and sing “another Jesus” and believe “another gospel” (2 Cor 11:4). All of them and the many that aren’t on this list.
For further reading on the danger of Christian Contemporary Music (CCM) please see here:
Christian Contemporary Music (CCM), the Soundtrack of End-Times Apostasy
Country music is also popular in contemporary Christianity, which arose in the 1920s from the American South, the so-called Bible belt, beginning with the first family of country, the Carter family. The Carters were raised under the influence of gospel music, an earlier iteration than even country. However, their "gospel" also influenced country.
“Gospel,” which was a distortion, and increasingly so, of the actual saving gospel, originated from late 19th century revivalism, even as did the Charismatic movement in the US. Revivalism, Gospel, Charismaticism, and Country dovetail at the Carters. Of the original three Carters, Maybelle, had a daughter, June, who married Johnny Cash, both in their second marriages.
Most country singers sing of living ungodly lives, of alcohol, fornication, foul language, divorce, drugs, partying. Though High Valley doesn’t as far as I’m aware, neither their music or lyrics represent Biblical faith. For some, church follows on Sunday after a Saturday night of lasciviousness. Their “gospel” is not a gospel of actual repentance or a true, scriptural Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus is a placebo for all, including High Valley. A money-maker and spot-light producer. Majority of these singers learned music in a religious home, honed it in some “evangelical”-type church, then used it for sin and/or self-gratification. Those that believe they are genuinely worshipping God are severely deceived, self deceived and demonically deceived (2 Cor 4:2-4).
The Bible declares “there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,” (2 Pet 3:3). Since these are religious scoffers (professing but false Christians, of all sorts of flavours), a necessary part of the justification for walking after one's own lusts involves a delicate balancing between professed adherence to the Scriptures and a walk according to those lusts. To overcome this difficulty, one simply increases and expands the number of things that cannot be known or culturally applied from scripture (hence the acceptance of CCM or country music as an issue of liberty), paving the way to “God-approved” lust following. Such is the way of scoffers and scorners.
Simultaneously, “grace” is vehemently proclaimed but what grace? Certainly not God’s grace but the grace found in Ju 1:4 — exercised by the “ungodly” who “turn the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and deny the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.” Denying Jesus doesn’t mean they deny His name. No, these are professing Christians who are very busy about “Christian” work and attend church and sing songs to Jesus (allegedly), but they actually deny Him by their lives, their beliefs, their lack of obedience and resistance to the truth, their corrupt fruit, their following after the flesh and ungodly lusts instead of after godliness and righteousness which happens to be the way of the true grace of God, the very same grace that saves the sinner and purifies the saint (Ti 2:11-14).
Christianity is not a pursuit of middle ground, although this is what I witness of professing Christians who are also country or CCM fans. The faith of the Bible is not a resolution between one side and the other. It is the choice of just the one and the rejection of the other.
“No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.” (Matt 6:24).
You can’t have both, which is what you attempt when you embrace worldly music. It is in salvation we exchange masters. You turn from the dung of this world as Paul did (Phil 3:8-11) and all truly repentant sinners do (Jam 4:4; 1 Jn 2:15-17) to a life of holiness, righteousness and godliness.
This is well reflected in Isa 55:7,
“Let the wicked forsake his ways, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.”
You no longer want to go your own way, but God’s way. You come to an end of yourself and your lifestyle (yes self-denial) and surrender to Christ without reservation. You recognize that Jesus Christ is “Lord of all” (Ac 10:36), and therefore submit to Him unconditionally as Lord. Repentance involves turning from sin in general (Is 55:6-7) but also specific sins (Ezk 18:28; Ac 3:26).
2 Tim 4:3-4 tells us,
"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.”
Contemporary Worship Music, Like Country, Is Fleshly Strange Fire
No better indication of the unsound doctrine abounding today is this itch for worldly music, which is an attempt at validating a selfish and sinful lifestyle that is in no way biblical or honouring to God. It cheapens faith and distorts the gospel, leaving its adherents twice the children of hell they once were.
Praise must be regulated by Scripture alone (De 12:32) and “strange fire” in worship is everything “which He commanded . . . not” (Lev 10:1)—thus forbidden. The Lord warns not to be snared into looking at what the wicked do, then saying, “even so will I do likewise” (De 12:30) in worship. On the contrary, Scriptural worship is to be distinctly set apart and different from that of the heathen and unbelieving culture. Worship is not to conform to culture or to men’s carnal desires, but to be distinctly different, set apart, or holy. God instructs His people to sing spiritual songs (Col 3:16). Spiritual means holy. It refers to that which is separated unto a holy God from the unholiness of this world. High Valley is not reflecting what is spiritual. Loving this flesh-feeding music and worldly culture reflects a lot about a persons “Christianity.” It reflects most importantly that you aren’t “worship[ing] the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.” (Jn 4:23-24).
Consequently, the “contemporary worship” philosophy—which is nothing less than taking the sound and style of the world which is under the control of Satan (Eph 2:1-3), and offering it to God—is an abomination in His holy sight. Musical styles created by the world to glorify the devil, lust, and every sort of wickedness—including CCM and country-western-bluegrass music played by High Valley—can by no means be acceptable to that holy King who demands purity, solemnity, and reverence in His worship. It’s spiritual adultery and such are enemies of God:
“Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.” (Jam 4:4).
Everyone is free to make up his own religion if he so desires. Everyone is free to sing the songs that they please. Everyone is free to live as they please — that is until the day of death and judgement before a Thrice Almighty and Holy God —but no one has the right to make up some songs, call them “Christian” and claim to be “Christian Musicians.” They have no right to do so. And they have no right to transgress Gods decree in how witnessing to the lost is to take place. Christianity, like all other religions, has its Founder, Scriptures, and lengthy history of those who practiced it biblically. Christian music, like all other music fits a specific category and that category must be supported by scripture. It is deceitful for anyone to call a song “Christian” or a band “Christian” when neither follows the teachings and example of Jesus Christ. That much is axiomatic.
God had commanded us to love and keep His commandments and to “hate every false way” (Ps 119:127-128), to “have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them” (Eph 5:11), so the one that is truly born again will hate this CCM/“Christian” rock/ Country worldly trash, and not only that but also reject professing “Christians” and “Churches” that compromise and apostatize with it — you’ll hate what they do and the way they do it; you’ll hate the philosophy of ministry that it represents and the way it misrepresents the God of the Bible; you’ll hate the way it deceives the people involved in it and what it does to churches and homes; you’ll hate the way that it ruins discernment and perverts a biblical or true understanding of spirituality and love; and you’ll hate the way it endorses false worship for churches. Loving the truth means hating error and sin (Ps 119:127-128).
If after reading through this you are not convinced that CCM and country music is contrary to the Scriptures, then you my friend are in much greater trouble than you could ever imagine. You are unable to obey Scripture and discern the principles thereof. Songs that idolize the world, drinking and partying, the sex of the world, or even songs that sing like pop songs to girlfriends, that are not scriptural by any means, even if they sing of farming and family and (vague) faith, are not for Christians but what the unsaved love. If you can't see that, then you are blind and in need of Biblical discernment. And that requires true conversion, not the placebo or counterfeit that you have embraced.
God's Word refutes the heretical music and philosophy of CCM and country music. The beloved saint of God will do what Scripture says:
“Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers.” (2 Cor 6:14).
“And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.” (Eph 5:11).
“Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord’s table, and of the table of devils.” (1 Cor 10:21).
Other Serious Issues with High Valley
There are other serious issues with High Valley beyond the music.
1. They are very likely unsaved false professors, not true born again Christians, according to their own testimonies. What they present as a testimony of salvation, is not Biblical according to their own words as read in an interview some years ago by a Calgary-based newspaper.
To the question,
"When did your faith become your own?"
"I was 12 years old at a Bible camp in Peace River, Alberta called Riverside. I can’t remember a lot, but there was one kid I always picked on for some stupid reason in school and I felt strongly convicted to go and apologize to him for being such an idiot. That was the first time I felt God speaking to me asking me to be serious about living a life for Him and treating others as if I cared about them. Live life centred on Him."
The question itself is already suspect, typical of neo-evangelicalism but then the answer. Absolutely nothing he says has anything to do with Biblical salvation. It’s absolutely and totally unscriptural. Feeling conviction over wronging someone is good but it’s NOT salvation. It’s also not “God speaking to me.” It's what we call conscience (Rom 2). Gods doesn’t speak to people but through His Word alone. He also doesn’t say what Brad said He did, since that opposes what He says in His Word about conversion. Brad’s “testimony" (which likely corresponds to some similitude with the other brothers since they never said anything to the contrary), had some very important missing elements:
• No mention of sin (cf. 1 Tim 1:15; Lk 13:1-5);
• No mention of Biblical repentance (cf. Lk 3:3-16; Ac 3:19) which connects with fear of the Lord (Pr 1:7, 20-31; 9:6; Ac 13:26);
• No mention of the Lordship of Christ (cf. Lk 14:25–15:32; Phil 2:10-11);
• No mention of the mediatorial work of Jesus Christ, not even the name of Jesus! (cf. 1 Tim 2:5; Jn 14:6);
• No mention of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ or shedding His blood for our sins (cf. 1 Cor 15:1-4; Lk 22:20);
• No mention of the forgiveness of sins by Christ (not even after his alleged conversion) (cf. Heb 10:17-18; Col 2:10-15; Eph 1:7).
Salvation is not whatsoever you want it to be. It’s not a lucky dip into a cereal box for that elusive toy, but precisely according to what God has said, and it does always come with substance and evidence (Heb 11; Col 1:4-6; Ti 2:11-14; 3:3-7; Matt 7:15-27). It is supernatural and superdramatic, not emotion or feeling based but according to truth and true repentance, precisely in line with what we see exemplified throughout Scripture.
The love for the popularity and fame and worldliness also reveals a love of self. Repentance leading to salvation, requires hating oneself (read Lk 14:25-15:32; Jn 12:24-25; Mk 8:34-37; Matt 10:32-39; 16:24-26).
“If any man come to me, and hate not . . . his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.” (Lk 14:26).
True saving repentance also causes the saint to leave the spotlight. These guys love the spotlight and that is because they are of the flesh. The natural man, their only nature. The truly saved don’t gravitate towards the spotlight like a pig gravitates towards mire, but in the opposite direction. Even in this we see ungodly and immoral aspect of their lives, like taking pictures, selfies, with other woman besides their wife. Their entire life consists of selfish glory, pursuing after fame and glory, even potentially immorality (at the least a lot of temptation towards that), and all point to an infatuation with the spotlight, and that reflects further their unsaved estate. Here is an example of that, once posted under their bio online. The Remple brothers are professing Christians, but one would never know that by anything in this bio, on their website or in their songs.
“With their new album starting to generate buzz on both sides of the border, the brothers are looking forward to expanding their audience. "We said what we wanted to say," Brad states about the new record. "If it's singing a love song or a song about standing up for your country or praying for the sun to shine on your crops when you are farming, we just want to make music that's going to help families love each other better. Hopefully people will think of our music and say 'Wow! Whatever these guys have got in their personal lives and faith, I'd love to take a closer look.'" (http://www.highvalleymusic.com/#/bio)
At least some of what is actually true comes out here. Their music isn't about God or Christianity even one bit but about "love songs," or songs about "your country" or "praying for the sun to shine" or "farming" -- none of which is any different than any other country music. Noted also is the false gospel of lifestyle evangelism. Many characterize this lifestyle as “nice.” Be nice to people. They want you to be nice to them. Then when they ask what’s different, you connect it to the gospel. In a technical sense, I do not see lifestyle evangelism in the Bible. The life surely should accompany the gospel. It should not contradict the gospel. Salvation comes through the gospel, which means preaching it. That is what is noted in the Bible. Many do not think you are “nice” when you preach the gospel to them, which is one of reasons why High Valley doesn't preach the gospel but replace it with the placebo of "lifestyle evangelism." But preaching the true gospel is the power of God unto salvation. Salvation will not occur without the gospel and it comes through preaching. That does not mean that you keep preaching the gospel to those who refuse to hear it. I hate to break it to these men from High Valley — people don’t say that. No one looks at the faith of a person because of worldly music that sings about farming or praying for the sun to shine or families to love each other better. No one is taking a closer look. That rarely happens in the best of Biblical situations, never mind in worldly, corrupted and unBiblical environments. So their motives and aspirations further reveal their unregeneracy and natural / fleshly estate and their complete ignorance to what the Bible actually says.
2. They are the product of a heretical “evangelical” denomination out of northern Alberta, the Evangelical Bergthaler Mennonite Conference (EBMC) and you can read my report on their apostasy here: https://www.2020scripturalvision.com/post/apostasy-in-the-evangelical-bergthaler-mennonite-conference-ebmc-in-a-nutshell. By now, the brothers are attending “evangelical” “churches” which are much worst than EBMC, where they get to hear preaching that fits their lifestyle and views of the false Jesus they have concocted in the carnal imagination of their minds.
3. Brad in a podcast speaks of buying a Jesus Calling devotional book for his son which he reads as well at times (source). This extremely ungodly, heretical apostate and demonically dangerous book is authored by Sarah Young. Her inspiration to write the book was a book called God Calling which is extremely heretical and evil channeled New Age book according to The Encyclopedia of New Age Beliefs, which teaches that God is "in" everyone. The "Jesus" of Jesus Calling is a complete contradiction to the Jesus of the Bible. I mean polar opposites. It rejects the Jesus of the Bible's warnings about the future and tells us to "laugh" at the future. It manipulates and deceives people through flattery and good words because its true author is Satan, and it completely contradicts the way the real Jesus Christ spoke to people. There is a complete revision of the accounts of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph of the Bible. It also revises the night that Jesus Christ was born and calls it a "dark night" in a "filthy stable" in "appalling conditions" even though the Bible says the shepherds rejoiced in all that they had seen that night. Plus they are adding to the Word of God, which comes with some pretty hefty penalties (Rev 22:18-19). It encourages its followers to practice contemplative "listening" prayer and to have a "buffer zone of silence,” which is a medium to introduce seducing demonic spirits. The book in this sense is similar to their worldly music, which is mostly “seducing spirits and doctrines of devils.” (1 Tim. 4:1). The book is thoroughly New Age cover to cover, consistently using new age terms and concepts throughout.
Absolutely no single true born again Christian in this world would read this book beyond a page and certainly not speak of it in a positive manner but rather zealously warn of it. People that read this demonic garbage for any purpose besides criticism have never been born again. That much is crystal clear. That is exactly what Scripture teaches: read Jn 10:1-5; 1 Jn 2:20-21, 27. Why? Because they are void of discernment and obviously don't know the truth but believe a lie, while those that are born again "have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things. I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth." (1 Jn 2:20-21).
4. They are spiritual adulterers, worldly to the absolute core and then fully promote it, including ungodliness. Not just by their showmanship and worldly atmosphere in their concerts (as the picture in the beginning of this report shows), but also in other ways. In their music video “On the Combine” (source) they had a boy and girl intimately kiss that were unmarried and actually unknown to each other. The Bible says a boy and girl are to avoid touching each other prior to marriage (1 Cor 7:1), never mind kissing one another! Talk about promoting sensual temptation to fornication! This is wicked. Why wouldn’t they have used a married couple if they desperately needed that in their video? Yes this is evil, and they are encouraging people to sin.
High Valley, together with a fan, sing a Backstreet Boys song "I Want It That Way" in Low German at Winkler Harvest Festival on Aug 15, 2010 and proud of it:
“We should let everyone know that for 14 years now, we’ve had the number 1 Low German Mennonite dance mix love song” (source).
Backstreet Boys were sodomites, pop singers, the very personification of the world, yet these so-called Christians exalt and sing their songs and behave sensually and unBiblical in precise manner as the world.
How can a so-called “Christian” musical group have the same album in nomination for
“Contemporary Christian/Gospel Album of the Year, as well as Country Album of the Year.”
Both are equally heretical and unBiblical, and even by the worlds standards there should be a difference.
Is someone loving Jesus that loves the ungodly music of this world? You are not loving Jesus if you’re a spiritual adulterer. You can’t even love Him because you’re His enemy. Spiritual adulterers (and adulteresses), those mixing clean with unclean, the profane with sacred (Ezk 44:23)—i.e. friends with the world—are at enmity with God (Jam 4:4). No, you don’t love Jesus (Jn 14:23-24), nor is the love of Jesus in you (1 Jn 2:15). You are not a “true worshipper” that “worships the Father in spirit and in truth” (Jn 4:23-24) but a worshipper of self. If you were truly born again, you wouldn’t tolerate it or have anything to do with it because it’s disgusting. Nauseating of the face-in-palm kind.
People like High Valley have sold their souls to the world, for Satan’s promise of fame, wealth and prosperity. Its that same old lie by Satan,
“Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them; And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.” (Matt 4:8-9).
Sadly, their response hasn't been anything like that of the Lord Jesus Christ:
“Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.” (Matt 4:10).
5. They do not follow God’s Word. These Mennonites from northern Alberta claim to be a “Christian” band, but yet to be Christian actually means something in Scripture. One would be very very hard pressed to find a single scripture mentioned anywhere on the thousands of pages on the High Valley webpage or social media. Nothing about their lives reflects anything even remotely as to what Menno Simons was, the founder of the Baptist/ Anabaptists group known by his name. Simons was a true born again Christian. To be a true Christian is to firstly be born again, and then living out the new birth (Phil 2:12-13) by obeying Gods will, obeying and keeping His Word, growing in godliness, holiness and righteousness, as we see in Titus 2:11-14, all for the glory of God, what God's grace does in those He saves (vv. 11-12). Those truly born again do characteristically follow God’s Word, not the ways of the world, or the way of the heathen. When God’s Word says “have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness” (Eph 5:11) that would mean separating from anything that is unbiblical – i.e. jamborees, concerts – but they don’t and rather quite the contrary, create the atmosphere and environment. Sure they uphold some Biblical and conservative values, namely around the family structure but that isn't evidence of the new birth. The proof and evidence of being truly regenerate is brought out in epistles like James and 1 and 2 John. John writes in 1 Jn 2:3-5,
“And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.”
According to this passage, they are lying about knowing Jesus and the truth doesn’t dwell in them.
6. The lyrics of High Valleys songs are weighed in the balance and found desperately wanting. They are worldly, non-specific, non-christian, could be sung to any religion and fit, and are certainly non-glorifying to God. The words that reflect Christianity, such as Jesus, Christ, Lord, God, salvation, gospel (and the details of the gospel), etc, and doctrinal terminology, are used very very scantly, and in many songs not at all. All the songs are doctrinally corrupt and anemic, many sinful, and reflect absolutely nothing out of the Word of God. Apparently they are singing to Jesus yet nothing in their actual songs point to that at all. It is a deceptive farce but worst, blasphemous.
One song, “Change your Mind,” sings of thanking the sun, not the Son.
🎵 "Or thanked the sun Just for shining- just for shining, Or the sea?, Oh no- take it all in, The world's a show, And yeah, you look much better, Look much better when you glow.”
Thanking the sun or the sea is by thanking God who gave us the sun, and thanking the sea. They are thanking the creation rather than the Creator. This is new age. What does it even mean to “glow“?
The song “The Rest of My Life” is an enigma as to who is the recipient, Jesus or your wife. Or maybe someone else or a false god? Again, as is the common theme in their songs, there is NO indication that this song is Christian and that it glorifies Christ. If you were to take this song and place it amongst secular country songs, no one would ever know that it was “Christian” and I think most would automatically assume that it was a song written from a man to his wife.
“Feeling is Believing” is a heretical song since feeling is not believing. Nowhere does the Bible say that. Instead of singing how to be saved, a placebo and counterfeit “gospel” is being preached. Faith is not sight. "For we walk by faith, NOT BY SIGHT" (2 Cor 5:7). "For we are saved by hope: but hope that IS SEEN IS NOT HOPE: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? But if we hope FOR THAT WE SEE NOT, then do we with patience wait for it" (Rom 8:24-25). Salvation is not seeing or feeling; it is repentant faith in the true gospel of Christ. It is obedience to the gospel.
Some songs like “Dry Town” sing of "Hope is on the way" but nothing anywhere about the one true gospel from whence hope streams. This again is a denial of the Lord Jesus Christ and the true gospel. It has zero relevance to Christianity and God’s Word.
The song “Take Mine” has zero identification of who this Lord is that they are allegedly singing of.
The song “Down this road” also has zero relevance to the Bible and Christ. Who are they singing to and about? Who is this 'him'? Where's the gate?
Early on in their career, on their website their philosophy of worship was expressed as,
“We want to offer a positive, faith-based version of the new country sound. That’s why we play a lot of mainstream festivals, sharing stages with Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban, and Brad Paisley.”
"With a fresh, engaging sound that combines the best of contemporary country with compelling faith-based lyrics, High Valley is truly the best of both musical worlds.“
As mentioned, most of their songs sing about family, the home, the country — though in of itself not necessarily bad subjects — but they are not Christian so that is how they should be advertised, not as Christian. There is nothing Christian about their “compelling faith-based lyrics,” (which is absolutely untrue) or the melody or the beats or the showmanship. It’s all unbiblical, ungodly and extremely dishonouring to God. No person will EVER be saved in these environments or through these unbiblical songs. Period! I can’t put enough periods or punctuations behind that period.
This is what God says about it:
"As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed." (Gal 1:9).
7. Lastly, their proclamation is to be “evangelizing” the lost with music.
"Hopefully people will think of our music and say 'Wow! Whatever these guys have got in their personal lives and faith, I'd love to take a closer look'"
But is that really what is occurring? No, absolutely not. Could someone please show me a single Scripture in the Bible that says we are to sing to the lost or evangelize the lost with music and that somehow those unsaved sin-loving people will want what they have? The only thing the people want is their ungodly and lascivious lifestyle and the money and popularity, and that's where it ends. Worldliness begets worldliness. Every passage of Scripture dealing with evangelism speaks to preaching the gospel (Matt 28:19-20; Mk 16:15; Rom 10:17; 1 Car 1:21; 1 Pet 1:23-25; etc). The Word of God is the Sword of the Spirit (Eph. 6), NOT music.
“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” (Heb. 4:12).
Salvation comes through preaching (1 Cor 1:21), not through music. Music is no scriptural means for propagation of the gospel. It contradicts biblical preaching. The gospel isn't an emotional appeal, arousing people by means of music. Nowhere is that a method in scripture. God authorizes preaching alone — the sheer gospel. The gospel is good enough on its own and it alone penetrates the hearts of men. Adding to that says that you don't believe it. The additives don't help. They take away. They turn this into a human enabled endeavor. The "gospel . . . is the power of God unto salvation" (Rom 1:17). Jesus said: “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.” (Mk 16:15). Preach is NOT sing. “But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed." (Gal 1:8). This is preaching the Word, not singing the Word. “For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.” (1 Cor 1:21). We are “born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.“ (1 Pet 1:23-25). “So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.” (Rom 10:17). Nothing anywhere about singing or making music, and then there is the serious issue of the worldly and unBiblical lyrics, melody, syncopation, beat, etc, noted already previously.
This is simply another example of forcing the Bible to say whatever it is that they want it to say which means they are “scoffers, walking after their own lusts.“ (2 Pet 3:3). They scoff at what Gods Word says about evangelizing and about living righteously and godly and holy lives, and to live separated from the world and to not love the world, all of which comes naturally to the truly saved saint. They are fulfilling 2 Pet 3:3 which is a prophecy of "the last days."
Everything written above by the way is derived from public resources. Nothing personal, though I have talked with Brad about these things; none of those private conversations are revealed here.
Should a Christian listen to High Valley? Not if you're interested in obeying the Word of God. Not if you love the Lord Jesus Christ. You have to pick what master you will serve (Matt 6:24) and that choice is actually made for salvation, not after. After, you will serve the Master that you have chosen.
“And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood [which represent the gods of CCM and country music], or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” (Jos 24:15).
Do You Love Christian Contemporary Music (CCM) or Country Music?
Enjoying ungodly pop or rock music, which both CCM and Country fit under, is a major symptom of someone that carries the dreaded sinners-virus. Here is some reasoning for this Biblical diagnosis:
1. It reveals that you love the world, and such are unsaved, and of that the Bible is clear. They have not the love of the Father in them, but live after the lusts of their eyes and flesh (1 Jn. 2:15-17). The regenerated overcame the world at salvation (1 Jn. 5:3-4; Jn. 15:18-19; 17:14-16).
2. It reveals you are friends with the world, and of such are unsaved and of that the Bible is clear. They are the enemies of God (Jam. 4:4); the very antonym of a friend of God (Jn. 15:13-15) and the ultimate word God uses to describe Satan.
3. It reveals you are carnally minded, not spiritual minded, which is the mind of the lost, and of that the Bible is clear. The carnally minded person is a false professor who is yet dominated by his natural being, the flesh (Rom. 8:1-16). The truly saved is spiritually minded (Rom 8), were once in the flesh (Rom. 7:4-6) and is now of the Spirit (1 Cor 2:9).
4. It reveals you are yet as one who retains the “spirit of the world” and has not “the spirit which is of God” (1 Cor. 2:12), having never “escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.” (2 Pet. 1:4).
5. It reveals you have corrupt fruit which according to Scripture coms from a corrupt, whole good fruit comes only from a good tree (Matt. 7:15-20; 12:33-35). "Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit." (Matt. 12:33).
6. It reveals you serve a master who isn't God; but it's at salvation that we exchange masters (Matt. 6:24).
7. It reveals you are yet a servant of sin and not of righteousness and holiness. "For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life." (Rom. 6:20-22).
8. It reveals you have misplaced affections. Those that are truly born again hate the things God hates and love the things God loves (Ps. 119:127-128; Heb. 1:9; Rom. 12:9). The truly born again believer says with the Psalmist: "Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold. Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way." (Ps 119:127-128).
9. It reveals you have a very serious and foundational heart issue, as the points above succinctly point out. "For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:" (Pr. 23:7a). This sort of music is not bred in the heart of one that is genuinely saved. Its revolting to such, as it purely feeds the flesh and emotions and is everything ungodly. This music turns the grace of God into lasciviousness, which is the mark of ungodly false teachers who creep in unawares (Ju. 1:4).
You don't like my warnings?
Some might think I am writing and protesting these serious unbiblical errors because I don’t like these men or that I am envious or have some personal vendetta against them. Absolutely nothing could be further from the truth. I cringe at the thought of living such a life. I have left the spotlight for the lowly. Salvation did that. The Lord does know that I love these men and also the people that are under their influence. What then is my motivation or purpose in warning about this music and this music group in particular?
1. Because I love God and His Word more than these men. That means I will obey God’s Word and will to earnestly contend for the faith concerning the exposure of these terrible and eternal life-altering errors and to judge all things (see Ezk. 3:17; 33:6-7; Matt. 7:15-17; Mk. 13:34 [parallel passage to Ezk. 3 & 33]; Ac. 13:8-12; 20:28-31; Rom. 16:17-18; Gal. 1:6-9; 2:4-5; Eph. 5:6-11; Phil. 3:17-19; Col. 2:8, 18-23; 1 Tim. 1:5-7, 19-20; 4:1-3; 6:3-5, 20-21; 2 Tim. 1:15; 2:16-18; 3:13; 4:14; Ti. 1:9-16; 2 Pet. 2:1-22; 1 Jn. 2:18-23; 4:1-3; Ju. 1:3-16; Rev. 2-3). Obedience to God’s Word very importantly includes contending for the faith, warning of error and sins (especially those that are pubic and will impact other lives) and standing for the truth (Dan 11:32b; Ju. 1:3; Pr. 28:1, 4-5). This is part of the responsibilities of the priesthood of believers. Thus to love my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ (2 Jn. 1:6; Jn. 14:15-24; 1 Jn. 2:3-5) means that I will obey God’s words, judgements, decrees and commands in these areas, as represented by all the above scriptures.
2. Because I love my neighbour as myself (Lev. 19:17; Pr. 27:6; 23:11-12; Jn. 15:13; Lk. 17:3-4; Rom. 12:19-21; Jam. 2:1-9; 1 Jn. 5:1-3) and would have been most grateful if someone had told me as a false professing Christian that my life and loves reflected a false profession (1 Jn 2:3-5; Jn 14:23-24; 8:31-36). Ze 8:16 declares: “These are the things that ye shall do; Speak ye every man the truth to his neighbour; execute the judgment of truth and peace in your gates:” The idea is to see repentance and true conversion; “He that rebuketh a man afterwards shall find more favour than he that flattereth with the tongue.” (Pr 28:23).
3. Because God loves and blesses this obedience of reproving and rebuking error, false doctrine or sin and exposing public errors and sins, tremendously (Ps. 50:21-23; 58:1; Pr. 12:1; 13:1; 24: 15:5, 31; 17:10; 24:23-25; 2 Tim 4:2-4). The Lord Jesus declares: “Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways. Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not. Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.” (Pr 8:32-34). I would say that out of all things in scripture, this may well be the most difficult to obey due to the cost that comes with it. Thus God’s love for it as noted throughout scripture in those who did obey like Paul the Apostle, Jehu, David, Abraham, Jeremiah, Isaiah, Stephen the Deacon, John the Baptist, and many others. These were valiant men of God, who “endure[d] hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.” (2 Tim 2:3).
4. Because it is required to stop error from continuing and dispersing, and destruction from occurring (Pr. 31:8-9; 27:6; 1 Cor. 4:16-17; 11:1; 2 Cor. 11:4, 12-15; Phil. 3:17-19; Ac. 21:28-30), for many will follow their “strange and diverse doctrines” (Heb 13:9) which will cause them to be “tossed to and fro” (Eph 4:14). The mouths of false teachers must be stopped (Ti. 1:9-16).
5. Because it is required to protect the vulnerable and recover the simple (naive and gullible false professors) from the snare of the devil (Pr. 31:8-9; Rom. 16:17-18; 2 Tim. 2:24-26).
6. Because it divides truth from error (Ex. 8:23; Ezk. 44:23; Lk. 12:51; 1 Cor. 11:18-19; 2 Tim. 2:15-26; 1 Jn. 4:1-2; 2 Jn. 1:9-11; 3 Jn. 1:9-11).
7. Because it is a serious gospel/salvation issue (1 Th. 1:6, 9; Pr. 21:11; De. 13:3-4; Jn. 10:1-5; 1 Jn. 2:20-21; 2 Jn. 1:9-11) and I am set for the defence of the gospel (Phil 1:17).
8. Because when you study, love and obey the truth of God’s Word, counterfeits are spotted usually immediately. When one becomes so familiar with sound and good doctrine, wrong and unsound doctrine becomes as a strange and unknown sound. Lest you get the wrong idea, my confidence is not in myself or in “intellectualism” but in the Scriptures, and in my position in Christ and standing in grace. God the Spirit does produce boldness and confidence, and diligent Biblical learning does ground one in the sound doctrine of God’s Word as commanded (Heb 6:1-2; Eph 4:14; Col 1:23) which results in loving God’s Word (Ps 119:127) and “hating every false way.” (Ps 119:128) since God does hate false doctrine and misuse of His Word (Ps 119:104; 127-128; Rom 12:9; 2 Pet 1:16-21; 3:16-17; 2 Cor 2:17; 1 Tim 6:3-5; 2 Jn 1:9-11; etc).
9. Because silence is not an option. Being grounded in the truth with discernment and moving unto perfection (Heb 6:1-2) isn’t enough on its own — it demands a response. Spiritual discernment is predicated upon obedience (1 Cor 2:15-16; Pr 21:15; Lk 12:57), and silence is seen as consent (e.g. Lev 5:1; Ps 39:4; 116:10). Abraham Lincoln once said, “To sin by silence when they should speak in protest, makes cowards of men.” I would say amen to that. So I must give heed to Jer. 1:17, “Thou therefore gird up thy loins, and arise, and speak unto them all that I command thee: be not dismayed at their faces, lest I confound thee before them.” And “Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. "But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.” (Jer 20:9).
Paul commanded the wise (saved) to judge what he said (1 Cor 10:15). The true humble heart who is subject to the Lord Jesus doesn’t mind being judged and examined (Ac 17:11; 1 Cor 10:15; Jam 3:17), as long of course its according to Scripture (Jn 7:24) rightly divided (2 Tim 2:14-18) and not according to personal attacks (ad hominem) or other logical fallacies such as straw man and red herring arguments. What I would warn you dear reader as you receive this warning that I have been commanded to sound (“These are the things that ye shall do; Speak ye every man the truth to his neighbour; execute the judgment of truth and peace in your gates:” Ze 8:16), is the passage that follows: “And let none of you imagine evil in your hearts against his neighbour; and love no false oath: for all these are things that I hate, saith the LORD.” (Ze 8:17).
I understand; people notoriously hate those that speak the truth (Jer 38:4; Am 5:10). Amos knew this all to well, yet he was a fiery man for the Lord: “They hate him that rebuketh in the gate, and they abhor him that speaketh uprightly.” (Am. 5:10). What compromised man-centred professing “believers” want to do more than anything is to silence the mouth of the watchman, of the contender for the faith, of the one who will warn of evil, of sin, of doctrinal error. Of course this is instigated by the devil for he has the most to lose and he does hate God and God’s people. But this is a great evil and God will reward it in due time. Alas, it is nothing new. This was happening in the days of Israel, where they would kill the prophets or torture them and throw them into prison. It happened in the days of Christ, Him being the supreme example of such persecution. He reproved sharply, aggressively (e.g. Matt 23; Jn 8:31-59; 13-17; etc) and they ultimately killed Him for it. The great denunciation by Christ was against His earthly superiors in the temple by the way, the chief priests and elders and religious leaders. The apostles fared no better. The examples we have in the NT churches the same pattern is noted, especially in the epistles to the Corinthians and Galatians, both contain rampant attacks on Paul.
So do feel free to judge what I have written here, but do so according to “righteous judgment” (Jn 7:24)—which is judging according to God’s Word. If you have solid facts to disprove something I have written, feel free to send it through and I will certainly reconsider my words, and then if deemed something was incorrect, I will change it. Facts though, not opinions. In the mean time, you must set aside your personal opinions and feelings and submit to the truth of God’s Word and I earnestly pray that it’ll change you.
God has commanded me to do this, and I am thankful He approves (Ju 1:3; Rom 16:17; Ti 2:15; 2 Tim 4:2-5; Eph 5:6-11; Pr 24:11-12, 23-25), for my motive is to please God and do His will:
“For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.” (Gal 1:10).
“Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?” (Gal. 4:16).