The Ecumenicalism and Immorality of Ravi Zacharias
Updated: Jan 24
Although the “apologist” Zacharias passed away a short period time ago, his heretical influence and compromise continue tragically onward through literature, audio and video. Many gullible simple-minded people read or listen to him, and his program Just Thinking was played for years at the unscriptural radio station CIAM. It is tell-tale that he got much fanfare by evangelicals, who also gave the wolf tribute; “Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets.” (Lk 6:26). So a warning is urgently needed on this dangerous ecumenist liked by neo-evangelicals and reformed calvinist heretics alike, who quote him from the pulpit, in writing and now bemoan his passing.
Like the typical “evangelical,” Zacharias rejected obedience to Gods Word for his own opinions and will, playing the role of hypocrite. He was a charismatic and talented orator, the attraction people had toward him but not his doctrine or practices. His teachings were laden with error, and his gospel and salvation questionable at best. Zacharias was simply another “evangelical” ecumenist champion, which is both unscriptural and ungodly and only reflective of false teachers and ravening wolves. Let’s consider a few examples (for brevity), as always being very direct and to the point like we see exemplified throughout scripture, plain and bluntly.
1. He had no issue fellowshipping with the Mormon (LDS) cult and teaching in their college. He spoke to Mormons at the first Standing Together Conference at the Mormon Tabernacle (2004) without giving any Biblical warning to this wicked cult about their lost & hypocritical estate. Even though it’s an unquestioned fact that Mormonism is a satanic cult and false religion that denies all the verities of the Christian faith, including the Trinity and Christ’s deity, teaches salvation by human works, teach Jesus is the spiritual brother of Lucifer, Mormons can become gods of their own planets and other blasphemous doctrine—Zacharias befriends them as "brothers in Christ.” How preposterous!
Instead of denouncing Mormonism and preaching against all their evil and false doctrine, he stated: “But on a serious note, I am honoured, truly honoured, and privileged to stand behind this pulpit and have the opportunity of speaking on top of the trust the leadership has in giving me this honour and so I do not take it lightly, and I want to thank all the pastors for coming together and just standing together.” In 2014 he again accepted the invitation to preach, and in that meeting on "Freedom and Friendship” he called for “evangelicals” and Mormons to be in “unity,” to stand together and save America from "lost morality." Clean (allegedly) and unclean pursing “morality” together, riggght…
As typical hypocrisy, he condemned "pragmatic philosophy," but that is precisely what he was pursuing in calling for unity between so-called Christians and lost Mormons with their false gospel and false Jesus. The Word of God abhors such a union (e.g. Matt 7:15-20; Rom 12:9; 16:17-18; 2 Cor 6:14-18; 11:1-4, 12-15; 2 Tim 3:5; 2 Jn 1:9-11), and those who engage in this evil prove themselves to have no life (Pr 9:6) and to have never been genuinely converted, thus belong not to God (2 Cor 6:14-18). The year 2016 brought another invitation, this time he appeared as a guest speaker together with a list of utter heretics and apostates that included the Pope himself.
2. He promoted Seventh Day Adventism (SDA) as true Christianity, reflecting his own lost estate (Am 3:3; 1 Cor 2:14-16), since SDA embraces a works-gospel, denies a literal hell and personal salvation and the soul leaving the physical body at death, believe the mark of the beast is Sunday church, and such blasphemy as Jesus being Michael the archangel, etc. As general editor of The Kingdom of the Cults (by Walter Martin), he spent well over 100 pages defending the SDA cult as Christian. In an earlier edition, Martin classified the SDA as a cult but later changed his mind, “Adventists should be recognized as Christians and that fellowship should be extended to them we do not deny.”(Christianity Today, Dec 19, 1960, p. 15).
Both Martin and Zacharias practically stood on their head to clear Ellen G. White, William Miller, and other SDA’s of their demonic doctrines, whitewashing doctrine of devils. Like other cults, SDA’s sneak about and conceal their identity behind health foods, archaeology seminars, TV broadcasts, slick coloured children’s books and so forth, because they serve the deceiver and not the true and living God. This point also proves Zacharias to be a wolf (Matt 7:15; Ac 20:29). The Biblical pattern is growth in spiritual discernment and maturity, not declension. Those that go back are dogs and pigs (2 Pet 2:22). Saved people don’t go back (Jer 7:23-24; 15:6; Heb 10:38-39) but grow (Ti 2:11-14; 2 Tim 3:16-17).
3. He was pro-Catholic. His statement of faith in part states: “We believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion of the saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.” The statement on its own is pretty shallow and could mean practically anything, but it’s the part on his believing in the “holy catholic church” that raises some serious red flags. Catholic means universal, so the word is wrong to begin with in describing churches. Second, claiming “catholic” as referring to all churches, not just Rome, as Zacharias did in his defence of his SOF, is a raging red herring and deception. No person views the word “catholic” as anything different than Roman Catholicism. No protestant or Baptist church has ever referred to itself as “catholic.” But there is more. He also promotes Catholic mystics like Henri Nouwen and Thomas Merton, and Catholic promoters like Billy Graham and preaches alongside the Pope at a Mormon cult conference, as mentioned (whom he refers to as brothers, as he does concerning the SDA) and was a signee of the heretical Manhattan Declaration, all of which reflects further what he really believes about “the holy catholic church.“ No true believer has anything to do with Rome, the Great Whore and Mother of all harlots, which is laden with hundreds of heresies concerning every Biblical doctrine and the murderers of millions of professing Christians and others.
4. He also yoked with many other apostates and heretics, living irreverent and entirely disobedient to what God’s Word say about this (such as 2 Cor 6:14-18, which ties separation to salvation, and those who don’t separate as unsaved). That list is fairly lengthy, so here are some of the more prominent ones. He was closely affiliated with Billy Graham and his crusades, he partnered with the ungodly Hillsong church, claiming them to be a great church. Wow. Nothing could be further from a true Biblical church. In 2004 he appeared on the seriously apostate and modernist Robert Schuller’s Hour of Power program, whom he also praised. He favourably pointed readers to mystic wolves such as Richard Foster. He has joined the heretic Joyce Meyer on her show. He has endorsed and positively quoted the apostate C.S. Lewis, a lost Roman Catholic who rejected practically all of the Bible. A video of him endorsing Lewis was once favourably played at EBMC Countryside Community Church (The Trojan Horse, Nov 13, 2016), an example of the discernment evangelicals lack. He has also spoken at the Calvinist reformed heretic and baby sprinkler R.C. Sproul's Ligonier Ministries conferences alongside other heretics such as neo-evangelical psychoheretic James Dobson and J. I. Packer.
5. Zacharias was a bald faced liar, evident even outside his obvious faux Christianity. He has perpetually claimed himself to be a doctor and a Cambridge scholar (back of book The Real Face of Atheism), both of which are untrue. He is neither. Under this false pretence, he made tens of millions of dollars, further revealing his deceptive wolf-like estate (Matt 7:15-20; Rom 16:18). The fact that he was in the Christian business for money is noted everywhere, including the excessive money he was funnelling to his family. Indeed, he was one that served his belly and not Christ (Rom 16:18), which, as noted, is primarily and firstly evident outside of his corruption and immorality, by his false doctrine (Rom 16:17). He was a liar and all liars are lost (Rev 21:8, 27). He was a hypocrite, a whited sepulchre full of dead man’s bones while yet living, and we know all hypocrites are lost (Matt 23).
Although I could certainly mention many other false doctrines and practices of his, his massive misuse and abuse of Scripture, but this ecumenical heresy ought to suffice. Zacharias was simply another wolf in sheep’s clothing, and most so-called Christians and pastors can’t tell the difference since they very likely come out of the same stream and have the same father (Jn 8:44). But every truly regenerated believer can though, he can differentiate between the strangers voice and the Shepherds voice (Jn 10:1-5), and “discern between the righteous and the wicked, between him that serveth God and him that serveth him not.” (Mal 3:18).
Zacharias, by embracing the ungodly ecumenism, rejected God’s critical doctrine of separation and such clear commands as 2 Cor 6:14-18, which actually tie directly to salvation. The “Jesus” that Zacharias followed was “another Jesus” (2 Cor 11:4) more in line with the end-times one-world religion “Jesus.” According to Scripture, born again believers do not maintain any religious fellowship bonds—whether they be personal, marital, ministerial or invitational—to heretics, apostates and cults (e.g. 2 Ch 19:2, Rom 3:8, 2 Cor 6:14-18, Eph 5:6-11). By these ungodly moves, Zacharias impugns himself to be a false teacher and wolf in sheep’s clothing (Rom 16:17-18).
New evangelical heretics like Zacharias (and all the others in the nigh end-less list of so-called “evangelical” leaders) are a precise fulfillment of passages such as 2 Tim 3:5-8; 4:3-4; Rom 16:17-18; Phil 3:18-19; etc, and people that follow them are lost simple-minded ear tickling followers after their own lust (ibid). It is heretics that embrace heretics. Rather, they are to be marked and separated from (Rom 16:17), “For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.” (Rom 16:18).
It is frightful that people have so little discernment as to be unable to determine that this man was a wolf and then separate from him, but that also reflects why they follow him to begin with: the blind led by the blind. God’s Word is very clear on that (e.g. Am 3:3; De 13:3-4; Jn 10:1-5; 1 Tim 4:1; 2 Tim 4:3-4; 2 Pet 2:1-3; etc). It is also the reason for all the other neo-evangelical heretics that they follow lock step, reading and embracing their poisonous doctrines.
“Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.” (Rom 16:17-18).
UPDATE: Jan 2022 [the above was written mid 2020]
A Further Expose, About His Sexual Immorality
The above report was written without prior knowledge about his immoral and ungodly conduct and quite frankly, I didn’t need the additional info to make a clear, precise and informed decision that he was a wolf in sheep’s clothing. His false doctrine, false practices, lying, worldliness, spiritual adultery, neo-evangelicalism, ecumenicalism, etc, was all the evidence necessary. But most don’t get it which reflects their very likely similar unregenerate estate. Nevertheless, like the dog and pig, he clearly was never washed from his mire and vomit. Since beginning of last year I have periodically read about the explosive allegation that has come out on the sexual misconduct of this serial sexual predator, none of which has been surprising.
In 2017 he was accused of sexually grooming a married woman and then subsequently threatened suicide upon her threats of exposure, which further exposed his diabolical and selfish nature. Zacharias in return filed a federal lawsuit which was eventually settled out of court. In the subsequent press release he claimed that he had long made it his practice to never be alone with woman besides his wife and daughters. Wow. What a blatant liar. His side health spa/massage parlour business (which very likely was established to feed his sexual immoral deviancy) allowed him regular opportunity to be alone with woman that weren’t his wife or daughters. Post-mortem, he has been accused, with plenty of evidence, of sexual molestation of multiple female employees in those two health spas/massage parlours (https://www.rzim.org/read/rzim-updates/board-statement).
On Feb. 11, 2021, RZIM released a months-long investigation, revealing that Zacharias reportedly raped one female massage therapist, sexually molested other massage therapists, paid for massages with donor funds, and had pictures of over 200 women on his phone. Investigators said the report proved Lori Anne Thompson’s allegations that Zacharias abused and manipulated her into a sexual relationship. Zacharias used tens of thousands of dollars of ministry funds dedicated to a “humanitarian effort” to pay four massage therapists, providing them housing, schooling, and monthly support for extended periods of time, according to investigators. One woman told the investigators that “after he arranged for the ministry to provide her with financial support, he required sex from her.” She called it rape.
In Sept 2021, The Roys Report launched a three-part series with new testimony and documents providing much evidence that the late apologist, Ravi Zacharias, was a sexual predator. (Read part one, part two, and part three.) Weeks later, Christianity Today reported allegations that Zacharias had sexually abused massage therapists at spas he owned, and Ravi Zacharias International Ministries launched an investigation. An interim report from the investigation found “credible evidence” that Zacharias “engaged in sexual misconduct over many years.”
Leaked info also reveals there was even a situation where Ravi told his brother to have his girlfriend get an abortion. He actively encouraged someone to murder a helpless, innocent, indefensive little baby, for some selfish purpose! So not just a false teacher and pathological liar but also a murderer as well.
Needless to say, all this doesn’t surprise me one iota. It’s like reading the morning “evangelical” news. I would agree with Ravi, “Nothing is as important as the truth.” Neo-evangelicals like Ravi are heretics and though most may never have their true immoral nature exposed for what it is like Ravi, plenty still do. All his other errors and heresies already revealed him to be a heretic (Ti 3:10-11), dog and pig (2 Pet 2:17-22; Mt 7:6). And what else is there?
People, evangelicals and reformers and Baptists and others, have sympathy for Ravi. He was broken they claim. Depraved. But still a Christian apparently. This is also heresy, revealing a perverted understating of Scripture and salvation. As noted Ravi, was a heretic for a lot of reasons, not just his ungodly sexual perversion. When God truly saves someone, he is no longer and never again totally depraved (1 Cor 6:9-11; Gal 5:19-21; Eph 5:5-11). This is a cop out and straw man. People that are saved are no longer broken or capable of awful things (Eph 2:1-5; Ti 2:11-14). "Believers" that are yet broken and doing awful things are false believers. They've never been born again. They are unjust. But "The just man walketh in his integrity" (Pr 20:7a). Why? Because he is a new creature with a new heart and lives in the fear of the Lord (Ps. 34:7, 9-11; 86:11; 89:7; 130:4; Pr. 28:14; 19:23; 23:17; 2 Cor. 7:1; 1 Pet. 1:17; 2:17). False professors do not walk in their integrity because they have no power over sin, and indulge in its lusts both internally and secretly. They are yet "dead in sin" (Eph 2:1-5; Col 2:13) while the true born again believer is "dead to sin" (1 Pet 2:24; Rom 6:2-11, 14; 8:10). But the sure fruit of a false teacher is his false doctrine and misuse and corruption of God's Word (Matt 7:15; 1 Tim 6:3; 2 Tim 3:5, 7; 4:3-4; 2 Jn 1:9-11; etc). This was plainly evident in many ways in the life of Ravi Zacharias. Now that he is caught in some outlandish and public sin, he is silently retreated from, not quoted, not spoken highly of anymore. There is a form of separation but it’s heretical and unBiblical. The Bible is not actually the measuring stick for life and faith of people that do this.
These things do reveal that Ravi Zacharias’s “[was] of [his] father the devil, and the lusts of [his] father [he] will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.” (Jn 8:44). He fulfilled his lusts, not control. But again, the immorality was just more icing on the cake; his false doctrine and corruption of scripture and blatant disobedience to God’s Word already revealed him to be a wolf in sheep’s clothing. These further crimes only buttress what the false doctrine and false practice already proved.
“Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. (Matt 7:15).